Stress Season: Upcoming AP tests increases students’ stress

Photo By: Ana Torchia

AP, or Advanced Placement, exams are approaching quickly. Most students are feeling increasing levels of stress at the thought of the upcoming exams. Not only are the students concerned, but the teachers are not used to how things are operating for these exams either.

The pandemic, making students transfer to online learning, has shifted the way of learning for many, if not all, students. The fear of scoring low grades has been circulating throughout the neighborhoods, as students feel unprepared for these exams that determine a lot for credits following high school years. Although many have returned to in person school, students have commented that the difference is minimal and are concerned for the amount they are learning for the tests that are to come.

“I have a hard time learning through the computer screen so I thought going back to school would benefit me,” junior Shady Mahmoud said. “Being in person during this pandemic has impacted how school runs and it was nothing like what it used to be. I am nervous for these exams because I believe our teachers are trying their best to teach us during this time, but it is very difficult. I have not retained any information for my tests.”

In order to better prepare, students may refresh on the knowledge they obtained from the previous semester. Going through previous tests, studying old powerpoints and packets. All of the information needed to fully succeed is located on the hub, under the course name. Before exams are set to happen, ensure you are gathering all of the material back into your mind to perform well on the exams.

“My advice to students about AP exams is to see them as an opportunity and not a dilemma. Your score does not define you,” said psychology teacher Mark Krimm, whose students will be taking the AP Psychology test soon. “Take advantage of the resources AP has provided via AP Classroom and seek encouragement and advice from your teachers. Because they are content driven, knowing key terms and concepts is a priority. After that, it is just understanding the test structure and study examples from past exams. Finally, make sure you take at least one mock exam.”