Lamar High School's Student-Run News Publication

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

Photo accessed on the Billboard websites. Published under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
Alex Spills Her GUTS on Rodrigo
Alex Alamkan, Writer

Vampire - 4/10: She sounds very childish in this song. The style of the song sounds like a middle schooler wrote it or like Kidz Bop. I don’t like it. Logical...

Writing Editor Brooklyn Slie makes delicious hot chocolate cookies and white chocolate candy cane cookies.
Entertainment
Must Have Holiday Treats
Brooklyn Slie, Writing Editor

It’s the holiday season! For me, and many others, the holidays bring out a certain part of us that loves to bake and make the best sweet treats. Between...

Writing Editor and senior Brooklyn Slie concocts a salted caramel hot chocolate and peppermint mocha mudslide.
Entertainment
How To: Make Holiday Treats
Elise Barnette, Writer

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Ingredients: ~ 2 cups of whole milk ~ 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder ~ 1/4 cup of granulated sugar ~ 1/4 cup of...

Many players on the football team share how theyve found success with the sport.
Features
Unbelievable and Unstoppable
Mischa Wijesekera, Editor-in-Chief

Andrew Hodge There is no doubt that the football team has had a successful season. Individual players like senior defensive end Andrew Hodge, who ended...

Photo accessed on the ELLE website. Published here under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
What Broke the Box Office?
Ben Newman, Podcast Host

1. Past Lives dir. Celine Song If you’re frustrated with the number one spot going to a movie you might not have heard of then watch Past Lives and...

Lamar Life Instagram

Outrage in Iran

A+picture+obtained+by+AFP+outside+Iran+on+September+21%2C+2022%2C+shows+Iranian+demonstrators+in+the+capital+Tehran+during+a+protest+for+Mahsa+Amini.+
Photo By: (AFP)
A picture obtained by AFP outside Iran on September 21, 2022, shows Iranian demonstrators in the capital Tehran during a protest for Mahsa Amini.

The Islamic Republic of Iran requires all women, regardless of their religion, to cover their hair with a hijab. On September 16, the “morality” police killed an innocent woman because she wasn’t wearing her hijab “properly.” 

Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman was detained by police on Sept. 13. She fell into a coma for three days and later died due to injuries sustained while in custody.

Security footage was later released revealing Amini falling to the ground after suffering from a heart attack. This footage, however, had a time skip. Amini’s family has expressed that she never had any heart problems. The police keep denying any wrongdoings.

This is sadly nothing new to the people of Iran. Women have been suffering because they are not allowed to freely express themselves due to the strict dress code and regime implemented by the government. These are rules that, if not followed, will be accompanied by severe consequences from the police. 

After Amini’s passing, people were outraged and multiple protests broke out. People took to the streets chanting “Death to the Dictator” and even burned a police car. Students from the University of Tehran took action by taking part in the protests as well. 

Women all over social media have cut their hair to show their support for Iranian women. Additionally, many brave Iranian women have taken off their hijabs in front of the police, risking their lives. 

Following Amini’s death, more casualties occurred including that of Nika Shakarami, who was only sixteen years-old. Reports say that she was going home after protesting, however, disappeared after being chased down by Iranian police. Her phone and social media were disabled that night.

Eight days later, her family received a call regarding her body. Disgustingly, the police stole her body from the morgue when her family expressed that they wanted to bury her in the village. 

The police then proceeded to bury Shakarami in another village west of where her family intended for her. The family couldn’t retrieve the body again. Shakarami was only a teenager and her tragic death after such treatment is heartbreaking.

It is disgusting that women get beat up by the police over how they present themselves. It’s ironic how the “morality police” seem to have no morals or remorse. 

Before the revolution, Iranian women were free to express themselves however they wanted. The streets were safe for them. However, this new regime has restricted and oppressed them. People have had enough. It is time for a change. 

Amini was not the first and will not be the last person to suffer like this. Far too many women have been killed in the past for the same reasons and if a change is not made in Iran, more will continue to die.