Lamar High School's Student-Run News Publication

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

Photo accessed on the Billboard websites. Published under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
Alex Spills Her GUTS on Rodrigo
Alex Alamkan, Writer

Vampire - 4/10: She sounds very childish in this song. The style of the song sounds like a middle schooler wrote it or like Kidz Bop. I don’t like it. Logical...

Writing Editor Brooklyn Slie makes delicious hot chocolate cookies and white chocolate candy cane cookies.
Entertainment
Must Have Holiday Treats
Brooklyn Slie, Writing Editor

It’s the holiday season! For me, and many others, the holidays bring out a certain part of us that loves to bake and make the best sweet treats. Between...

Writing Editor and senior Brooklyn Slie concocts a salted caramel hot chocolate and peppermint mocha mudslide.
Entertainment
How To: Make Holiday Treats
Elise Barnette, Writer

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Ingredients: ~ 2 cups of whole milk ~ 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder ~ 1/4 cup of granulated sugar ~ 1/4 cup of...

Many players on the football team share how theyve found success with the sport.
Features
Unbelievable and Unstoppable
Mischa Wijesekera, Editor-in-Chief

Andrew Hodge There is no doubt that the football team has had a successful season. Individual players like senior defensive end Andrew Hodge, who ended...

Photo accessed on the ELLE website. Published here under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
What Broke the Box Office?
Ben Newman, Podcast Host

1. Past Lives dir. Celine Song If you’re frustrated with the number one spot going to a movie you might not have heard of then watch Past Lives and...

Lamar Life Instagram

The Ultimate Halloween Playlist

A collection of songs to get you into the Halloween spirit
All photos accessed
on the respective
artist’s album cover.
Published here under

fair use. No copy-
right infringement is

intended.
All photos accessed on the respective artist’s album cover. Published here under fair use. No copy- right infringement is intended.

If you want to truly honor Halloween the way it deserves, you need to key into its frequency and fall head first into its vibe. Halloween is just as much a state of mind as it is a day of the year. So whether you’re throwing a party, admiring local decorations or zoning out in class, here are the songs you need to properly embrace the Halloween spirit.

In the Room Where You Sleep – Dead Man’s Bones 
Ryan Gosling is having a moment with the recent success of “Barbie.” We would be remiss if we forgot to celebrate one of his career highlights. The bizarre, Halloween themed, music duo, “Dead Man’s Bones,” released a self-titled concept album with the goal to sound like Halloween. The gem is “In the Room Where You Sleep,” a tongue-in-cheek jam with Gosling doing his spooky voice and an electric organ riff that you’ll be dying to listen over and over again.

Thriller – Michael Jackson
The song needs no introduction. The Halloween song to end all Halloween songs. It’s the definitive Halloween song. The creaky door, howling wolf, and chilling synth chords that introduce the song tell you immediately that this isn’t just any other Michael Jackson song, this song doesn’t just belong to him, it’s been reclaimed by the holiday itself. It also helps that the outro contains a chilling voice-over from legend, Vincent Price.

Bad Moon Rising – Creedence Clearwater Revival 
You might be thinking that the country rock band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, might not seem like prime pickens’ to write a great Halloween song, and you’d be thinking right. “Bad Moon Rising” isn’t exactly a Halloween song in the typical sense. It may not be spooky like “In the Room Where You Sleep” or made for a Halloween party like “The Great Pumpkin Waltz,” but you can’t listen to it and tell me that it isn’t perfect for the time in October where the leaves to start to fall and everyone has fake spiderwebs on their trees.

The Great Pumpkin Waltz – Vince Guaraldi
If you go on Instagram at any point in time, this time of the year, you’ll see at least one person posting a photo from the iconic, “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” a delightfully seasonal short that is now a major part of the imagery of Halloween. Though the short is an incredible treat for all who love Halloween, its score fully stands out, the crown jewel of which being “The Great Pumpkin Waltz,” a cozy jazz tune with opening measures that are instantly soothing. The track will put you in the perfect headspace for the holiday and the acoustic guitar strumming that occurs three quarters of the way in will completely transport you.