Lamar High School's Student-Run News Publication

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

Photo accessed on the Billboard websites. Published under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
Alex Spills Her GUTS on Rodrigo
Alex Alamkan, Writer

Vampire - 4/10: She sounds very childish in this song. The style of the song sounds like a middle schooler wrote it or like Kidz Bop. I don’t like it. Logical...

Writing Editor Brooklyn Slie makes delicious hot chocolate cookies and white chocolate candy cane cookies.
Entertainment
Must Have Holiday Treats
Brooklyn Slie, Writing Editor

It’s the holiday season! For me, and many others, the holidays bring out a certain part of us that loves to bake and make the best sweet treats. Between...

Writing Editor and senior Brooklyn Slie concocts a salted caramel hot chocolate and peppermint mocha mudslide.
Entertainment
How To: Make Holiday Treats
Elise Barnette, Writer

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Ingredients: ~ 2 cups of whole milk ~ 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder ~ 1/4 cup of granulated sugar ~ 1/4 cup of...

Many players on the football team share how theyve found success with the sport.
Features
Unbelievable and Unstoppable
Mischa Wijesekera, Editor-in-Chief

Andrew Hodge There is no doubt that the football team has had a successful season. Individual players like senior defensive end Andrew Hodge, who ended...

Photo accessed on the ELLE website. Published here under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
What Broke the Box Office?
Ben Newman, Podcast Host

1. Past Lives dir. Celine Song If you’re frustrated with the number one spot going to a movie you might not have heard of then watch Past Lives and...

Lamar Life Instagram

The History of Homecoming

The origins of homecoming traditions
Photo By: Fernando Gomez
After being crowned homecomiang king and queen, Andrenai Turbin (left) and Pedro Carreon (right) lock elbows and smile to the crowd.

Homecoming is an exciting part of almost every high schooler’s life in America, for most people it’s fun and exciting to get asked out and then to get dressed up with friends and partners to go to the dance and take pictures but have you ever taken the time to think about why exactly we have homecoming and why
it’s in the beginning of the year and not the end?

Homecoming began at colleges as a celebration for the first football game of the season. The history of homecoming can be traced back to the early 20th century, and its origins are rooted in various traditions and cultural shifts. The concept of homecoming is closely tied to American football. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, football became a popular sport in colleges and universities. Schools would often schedule their most important football games against rivals for the occasion (first game of the year).

The University of Missouri is credited with hosting the first recognized homecoming event in 1911. They invited alumni to attend the football game against the University of Kansas. The tradition of homecoming quickly spread to high schools, especially in the United States. High school homecoming events typically revolve around a football game, but they often include additional activities such as parades, dances, pep rallies, and crowning a homecoming king and queen. Over time homecoming became less attached to the first game of the school year and became its own independent event now schools often have a spirit week before homecoming where students dress up according to different themes each day.

Homecoming is an opportunity for schools to highlight their spirit and pride. Schools often decorate with school colors, mascots, and banners while students wear school-themed clothing to show their support.

In the early to mid-20th century, schools started incorporating the tradition of selecting homecoming queens into their celebrations for homecoming. This was often inspired by similar traditions in other cultures and events like beauty pageants. Originally, homecoming queens were typically young women elected by other students for their popularity, beauty, later. The roles of homecoming queen and king became more about representing school spirit and rather than just popularity or looks.