Lamar High School's Student-Run News Publication

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

Photo accessed on the Billboard websites. Published under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
Alex Spills Her GUTS on Rodrigo
Alex Alamkan, Writer

Vampire - 4/10: She sounds very childish in this song. The style of the song sounds like a middle schooler wrote it or like Kidz Bop. I don’t like it. Logical...

Writing Editor Brooklyn Slie makes delicious hot chocolate cookies and white chocolate candy cane cookies.
Entertainment
Must Have Holiday Treats
Brooklyn Slie, Writing Editor

It’s the holiday season! For me, and many others, the holidays bring out a certain part of us that loves to bake and make the best sweet treats. Between...

Writing Editor and senior Brooklyn Slie concocts a salted caramel hot chocolate and peppermint mocha mudslide.
Entertainment
How To: Make Holiday Treats
Elise Barnette, Writer

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Ingredients: ~ 2 cups of whole milk ~ 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder ~ 1/4 cup of granulated sugar ~ 1/4 cup of...

Many players on the football team share how theyve found success with the sport.
Features
Unbelievable and Unstoppable
Mischa Wijesekera, Editor-in-Chief

Andrew Hodge There is no doubt that the football team has had a successful season. Individual players like senior defensive end Andrew Hodge, who ended...

Photo accessed on the ELLE website. Published here under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
What Broke the Box Office?
Ben Newman, Podcast Host

1. Past Lives dir. Celine Song If you’re frustrated with the number one spot going to a movie you might not have heard of then watch Past Lives and...

Lamar Life Instagram

LDT Masters Moves

Lamar Dance Theatre Prepares for Competitions

This year, the Lamar Dance Theatre, better known as LDT, chose the theme “Ohana means family.” From learning jazz to ballet, LDT is a passionate and versatile team that focuses on a variety of dance styles.

During the recent months since school started, LDT performs newly choreographed routines at all of Lamar’s weekly pep rallies hosted in the gym. These routines contribute to the hype and excitement that follows after the morning of the pep rallies.

“I am looking forward to the competition season the most,” senior Zoe McClendon said. “We’ve been training so hard since the summer and I’m thrilled to get out there and dance my heart out, especially with it being my senior year.”

While spring is definitely their peak time, LDT is busy behind the scenes planning and workshopping
fresh new dance pieces for the spring season. LDT has recently been engaging in strength and conditioning workouts at the school track, ensuring that they will be prepared.

“My favorite part about LDT would surprisingly be the training that we do,” junior Navy Piece said. “Coach J doesn’t hold back when it comes to hard workouts. Even though it’s really hard at the moment, it pays off.”

Later, LDT takes their crafted routines to various competitions from the months February to May. These contests span from local events to national contests- competition season is definitely a highlight for the team. The Spring show is an opportunity to show off all the hard work they’ve put in and how far it has got them.

“Cheering my team on, getting to see people dance, getting butterflies before going onstage, leaving everything behind and letting my body take over when getting on the floor is an exhilarating experience,” McClendon said.

LDT teaches a lot of life skills that the dancers are able to apply not only to dance, but to the real world as well.

“LDT is continuously teaching me about perseverance,” senior Arleth Milan said. “De- spite every-
thing going on outside, having the opportunity to just clear your mind and dance has always been what’s connected me to the art. If you fall down, you get back up and try again. This is a lesson that will not only help me in the dance realm, but especially in my future, and is a factor I believe has shaped me into the determined young woman I am today.”

Persevering through the long season definitely has its low moments but because the whole team is so close, they use each other to keep motivation high. LDT is more than just a dance team, the team is a closely knit family.

“Ohana means family” was chosen as our theme because the relationships we’ve established with each other have really drawn us to becoming a true family,” Pierce said. “I can’t wait to see what we accomplish together.”