Lamar High School's Student-Run News Publication

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

Photo accessed on the Billboard websites. Published under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
Alex Spills Her GUTS on Rodrigo
Alex Alamkan, Writer

Vampire - 4/10: She sounds very childish in this song. The style of the song sounds like a middle schooler wrote it or like Kidz Bop. I don’t like it. Logical...

Writing Editor Brooklyn Slie makes delicious hot chocolate cookies and white chocolate candy cane cookies.
Entertainment
Must Have Holiday Treats
Brooklyn Slie, Writing Editor

It’s the holiday season! For me, and many others, the holidays bring out a certain part of us that loves to bake and make the best sweet treats. Between...

Writing Editor and senior Brooklyn Slie concocts a salted caramel hot chocolate and peppermint mocha mudslide.
Entertainment
How To: Make Holiday Treats
Elise Barnette, Writer

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Ingredients: ~ 2 cups of whole milk ~ 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder ~ 1/4 cup of granulated sugar ~ 1/4 cup of...

Many players on the football team share how theyve found success with the sport.
Features
Unbelievable and Unstoppable
Mischa Wijesekera, Editor-in-Chief

Andrew Hodge There is no doubt that the football team has had a successful season. Individual players like senior defensive end Andrew Hodge, who ended...

Photo accessed on the ELLE website. Published here under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
What Broke the Box Office?
Ben Newman, Podcast Host

1. Past Lives dir. Celine Song If you’re frustrated with the number one spot going to a movie you might not have heard of then watch Past Lives and...

Lamar Life Instagram

Get in Touch With Robotics

The robotics club offers workshops
Photo By: Trent Barnes
Junior Guillermo Melendez teaches middle schoolers about robotics.

The robotics team here at Lamar, better known as Discobots, is a multi-school robotics organization that takes place at schools like Debakey, Carnegie, Lanier and even in other states like California. However, Discobots is more than just a robotics class. Discobots helps schools start and manage their own robotics team while collaborating with them on various projects. Discobots helped Debakey and Carnegie start their robotics team since they were unable to due to a lack of funding and teachers. They even helped a high school in Canada hop on the robotics train and they are flourishing like never before. 

“Before I was a student here, we had founded a team in Canada,” senior and Discobots Team Captain Soumil Goyal said. “They started low but slowly we built them up and now they compete very fiercely at the international level.” 

One may wonder how a Robotics team in Texas collaborates with a high school in Canada. About once or twice a month, Discobots meets with them over Microsoft Teams and discusses robotics plans and they share information to guide each other as they compete in different countries. 

“We talk with them about robotics plans, we share our progress, we share our tips and tricks because until the world championships we basically compete in separate countries,” Goyal said. “We model this industrial practice [team engineering] by making sure we reach out and collaborate, and we are all better in that way.” 

Discobots host robotics meetings here at Lamar as a mentor to not only these schools but middle school students as well. A recommendation to the younger students interested in robotics is the Discobots workshops. The workshops are to get more people interested in robotics in hopes of growing Discobots. 

“At the end of the school year, we usually go to four to five middle schools and show them what we do,” junior and Vice Captain Guillermo Melendez said. “It’s hosted at Lamar and we teach whoever comes about everything related to robotics. This usually includes building, designing, coding, social media and logging everything into the notebook.”

Recently, Discobots were internationally recognized for the help and work they do in the community as they won awards at the VEX Robotics Competition World Championship.

“My current VEX team is a team combining some of our Lamar students, some Debakey students, some homeschoolers and even some middle schoolers if they wish to join,” Goyal said.”It’s supposed to be an all inclusive team and we compete very well.”

Every year, Discobots competes in robotics competitions like VEX all year and FRC from January to May. Discobots host workshops in the summer for middle schoolers and additional attendees for those interested in getting involved with robotics. Students can learn more about attending these workshops in Rita Graves’ weekly newsletters.