Lamar High School's Student-Run News Publication

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

LAMAR LIFE

Photo accessed on the Billboard websites. Published under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
Alex Spills Her GUTS on Rodrigo
Alex Alamkan, Writer

Vampire - 4/10: She sounds very childish in this song. The style of the song sounds like a middle schooler wrote it or like Kidz Bop. I don’t like it. Logical...

Writing Editor Brooklyn Slie makes delicious hot chocolate cookies and white chocolate candy cane cookies.
Entertainment
Must Have Holiday Treats
Brooklyn Slie, Writing Editor

It’s the holiday season! For me, and many others, the holidays bring out a certain part of us that loves to bake and make the best sweet treats. Between...

Writing Editor and senior Brooklyn Slie concocts a salted caramel hot chocolate and peppermint mocha mudslide.
Entertainment
How To: Make Holiday Treats
Elise Barnette, Writer

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Ingredients: ~ 2 cups of whole milk ~ 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder ~ 1/4 cup of granulated sugar ~ 1/4 cup of...

Many players on the football team share how theyve found success with the sport.
Features
Unbelievable and Unstoppable
Mischa Wijesekera, Editor-in-Chief

Andrew Hodge There is no doubt that the football team has had a successful season. Individual players like senior defensive end Andrew Hodge, who ended...

Photo accessed on the ELLE website. Published here under fair use. No copyright infringement is intended.
Entertainment
What Broke the Box Office?
Ben Newman, Podcast Host

1. Past Lives dir. Celine Song If you’re frustrated with the number one spot going to a movie you might not have heard of then watch Past Lives and...

Lamar Life Instagram

A Passion for Pickleball

Pickleball Club becomes a big hit
Seniors Collin Stern, Ari Axelrad, and Mason Martinez encourage students to join the Pickleball Club during Club Fair.

If you’re in need of a new hobby that helps you meet new people and be more active, Pickleball Club is the place for you. 

Pickleball is a racket sport in which two to four players hit a hollow, plastic ball with paddles over a 34-inch-high net until one side is unable to return the ball or commits an infraction. It’s very similar to tennis but there are still many differences between the two sports. 

Pickleball courts are smaller than tennis courts and pickleball is a sport that combines elements of tennis, ping pong and badminton into one game. 

“I joined the Pickleball Club because it was a way to make new friends and a good way to pick up a new little hobby,” senior Stella Parish said. “It’s also an interesting sport to play and it’s fun and a little more relaxed than tennis.” 

Joining the Pickleball Club could be a great experience for anyone and everyone. It is a wonderful way to meet new people who are looking to have fun within school grounds. The first time I played pickleball was in seventh grade and once I played it, it became my favorite activity.

“I like pickleball because I feel like it’s a lot less competitive and more fun compared to other sports,” Parish said.

The game of pickleball has had a fast rise in popularity since 2020. The game has seen an increase in participation by 113% between 2020-2022, but it’s also disliked by many people and called “poor man’s tennis.”

In a world where pickleball is the underdog of all sports, starting a pickleball club may seem like a risky idea, but a few seniors decided to take a risk.

“I started the club because I love pickleball,” Co-president and senior Collin Stern said.“ I wanted to help other people who love pickleball to find somewhere they can enjoy it.”

Of course, you don’t have to join pickleball for sportif reasons, you can also join because you’d like to play with people that are enthusiastic about playing the sport as a team.

“It’s a fun sport that I like to play a lot with my friends, which motivated me to start the club,” Co-president and senior Mason Martinez said. 

You don’t have to be experienced at pickleball to join the club, you can join simply to have a fun experience. The members of the club encourage newcomers to join as there are no restrictions to who can play pickleball and when you can join the club. Meetings for the Pickleball Club are Thursdays and games are usually the last Saturday of the month.

“The feeling of winning and celebrating with the members is the best,” Martinez said. “It’s a lot of fun and I do think that people should join regardless of their experience.”